Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Amish don't know what they're missing


I practice something called lent every year. This is where you give up something for 40 days. I've been without hot dogs, my bike, TV, and even the computer, but never my cell phone. I thought being without my phone would be smooth sailing after all my practice. I was seriously mistaken. You never know how dependent you are on technology until it's not available to you. I realize that our particular generation's lives revolve around technology. Especially the cell phone. I never thought it was a big deal. Technology is so great if you ask me. It simplifies our lives. We are able to immediately connect to people with the click of a button. The real question is does that really connect us to each other or separate us. I have a chronic habit of playing brick breaker. All the time. I can do most anything while still playing my game. I have mastered the art of multi-tasking. This I must admit does take my attention away from the people around me. My undivided is never fully given. I cannot deny that my cell phone distracts me from living in the moment as well. Teenagers are so easily preoccupied with their next text or phone call. Does texting really count as a connection? It is convenient, but probably the lowest form of genuine communication.
I am sure I really listened to the people I talked to, was living in the present, and truly communicating with everyone I talked to while I was without my phone, but I recognized the inconvenience it caused me more so than the relationships I was cultivating. I never knew what time it was. Without one technology I would just have to replace it with another. I wasn't able to call my parents. I couldn't find where any of my friends were. So I have to conclude that without it I was equally separated as I am with it. Both scenarios have pros and cons. I myself have grown accustom to having a phone while the Amish have grown accustom to not having that type of communication. Which I find somewhat ironic because the Amish are trying to simplify their lives without technology. I think if they ever gave it a try they would realize the hassle their "simple" life is. My phone will continue to be my constant companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment